Why we don’t recommend home hair colour
We’re not into scaremongering, but many home hair colour boxes just aren’t safe. Many come with information that describe some common side effects but often these can be just the tip of the iceberg. We’ve come across the following advice via ModernSalon.com that details some of the lesser know side effects to home hair colour kits:
• Blistering: The chemical cocktails in typical hair dyes can lead to blisters on various parts of the body. The scalp and hairline are most commonly affected, of course, because that’s where the dye rests on the skin. But it’s also possible to develop blisters on the face, neck and elsewhere. Chemicals easily penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream, producing effects in apparently unrelated areas of the body.
• Rash: A severe rash is not only potentially scarring, but it can also indicate an allergic reaction. When the offending hair dye has worked through the system and the rash begins to heal, rubbing in some natural aloe vera gel can prevent or reduce the appearance of scars.
• Swelling: Puffy face and eyes are a clear warning sign that the body is rejecting something foreign; chemical-based hair dye has been known to cause this reaction in many people. In a worst case scenario, the swelling of soft tissue could make it hard to breathe or swallow, a life-threatening situation.
• Itchy, dry scalp: While not likely to land anyone in the hospital, achieving a particular hair colour doesn’t need to come at the cost of skin irritation.
• Thinning hair: Chemical hair dyes are known to cause thinning hair and hair loss. Look for more hair than usual falling out in the shower or after brushing.
• Liver enzymes: The most serious of all adverse reactions, elevated liver enzymes are a silent danger – they’re undetectable unless a doctor conducts a blood test. Elevated enzymes can result when the liver goes into overdrive trying to filter toxins like those found in most boxed hair dyes from the bloodstream.
Frighteningly, some of these side effects may take days or even weeks to develop causing many user not to suspect their home hair colour to be the problem. Our advice? If you experience any of the above symptoms, stop using chemical hair dye immediately.
For perfect results every time, without any of the nasty side effects, use a professional hair salon. At Peter Marcus we have experienced colourists who will take the time to colour-match our vast range of colouring products to your skin tone. Application is carried out to industry standards and we use only the best, fully approved products throughout the salon. Don’t take the risk; book an appointment with the Peter Marcus team today. Call us on 0161 834 1422 or use the booking form on our website.