Peter Marcus Hairdressing
Posts Tagged ‘Peter Marcus’
All mothers-to-be want to make sure they are keeping any potentially harmful substances away from their body while they are pregnant. Most cut down on alcohol, cigarettes and even certain cheeses – but what about hair dye? There are many myths surrounding hair dye and its effects on unborn babies, but most research suggests they largely false. While hair dye does undoubtedly contain a lot of chemicals, the quantities are incredibly low, and there have yet to be any cases of unborn babies being harmed through their mother’s use of hair dye. In order to be on the safe side though, most doctors recommend waiting 12 weeks (until the end of the first trimester) before using hair dye. By this time, the baby is more developed and less vulnerable.
However if you want to use this time give up your hair dye addiction (or just want to make your pregnancy as safe as possible) now is the time to try out some alternatives. When the baby is born, you may have less time or money to spend on dye jobs – so why not kill two birds with one stone and try one of these substitutes?
- Dip dye – The risk with hair dye is that the chemicals are absorbed into the system by the scalp. Again, there’s very little research which suggests this is harmful to the baby, but if you want to eliminate the risk whilst still having fun with your hair colour, why not try a dip dye? Since only the ends of your hair are coloured, it eliminates a lot risk, but still allows you to play with colour. Plus, if you get bored with the colour later on, it’s easy to remove – just cut off the coloured ends and try a shorter style. You could also try highlights or ombred hair in natural shades for a more subtle look.
- Extensions – If you want to try a new look, but are keen to stay away from the dye, clip in extensions can be a convenient alternative. You can take them in and out whenever you want and depending on the length and colour, they can dramatically change your look. A new style with minimum commitment! Our extension stylist Tinu, can help you find the right colour and style for you, as well as cutting or dying the extensions to specification – contact the salon for a consultation.
- If extensions aren’t your thing, why not go the other way and try that short style you’ve always thought about? No change makes more of a statement than a dramatic chop, so take this time to try a bob, a pixie cut or even a bold undercut. You have nine months for it to grow out before the baby arrives if you don’t gel with the style, and many women even report that their hair grows faster when pregnant – you have nothing to lose!
- Of course, if you want to go cold turkey when it comes to dying your hair, you can always use these nine months to allow your real colour to grow through naturally. It usually takes a year for your hair colour to come through at a reasonable length, so start now and it will be almost there by the time the baby arrives (possibly earlier if your hair grows quicker due to pregnancy hormones!) You can treat yourself to a restyle at the end of the nine months to get rid of any remains of the old colour – just email our stylists.
One final thing to remember is that during pregnancy, your hair may undergo some changes due to hormones. It could change in texture, need to be washed more often (or less) or respond differently to dye – so if you’re planning on using any colourants at home, be sure to do a strand test beforehand. If you’re looking for a new style or an alternative to hair dye during pregnancy, contact Peter Marcus. Call our stylists today on 0161 834 1422, send us an enquiry online or call into the salon for a free consultation.
This winter was all about edgy hair. Sharp bobs and choppy pixie cuts were bang on trend, with the added benefits of being super low maintenance in spite of wind, rain and snow. But now that the sun is out, and we’re all in the mood for summer, are you starting to feel hair cut regret? Are you wishing you could create those lushious beachy waves we all crave during the sunny seasons? Well, why not give extensions a try? They’ve come on a long way since the poorly disguised artificial hair of the early naughties – check out these celebs for some inspiration…
While we’ve never seen the any of the Kardashians with anything but flawless hair, we’re especially loving Kourtney’s not-so-natural locks. Rather than lengthening, Kourtney’s extensions thicken, leaving her hair looking thick, shiny and full of life.
Selena fully embraces ‘hippy chic’, coupling extra long extensions with a floral headband and bare midriff. We think this would be the perfect look for a festival, particularly for those with a centre parting.
Rita shocked us all at the Oscars, swapping her trademark bob for some platinum waves in a more relaxed version of her classic retro look. Rita is living proof that blonde looks amazing with any skin tone – especially in summer!
We couldn’t just pick one look for Beyonce – her hair changes far too often for us to keep track! Bey is a great example of the flexibility of extensions and weaves – they’re changeable, they’re dyeable and you’re never stuck with one style for long.
Sorry – we couldn’t resist! But hey, who says hair extensions are only for women? We actually think that Daniel has been something of a trailblazer in the male extension department – was Jared Leto copying his ‘do at the Oscars last week?!
We love the versatility of hair extensions, hair pieces and weaves. Can’t wait for your short hair to grow out – you don’t have to! Which is why this year, we were thrilled to welcome the wonderful Tinu, the creator of Dilusso Hair Extensions, to join us! Tinu offers some of the best hair extensions in Manchester and is now on hand for customers of all hair types looking for great quality, all natural extensions and weaves.
If you’re looking for summer makeover, and want to find out more about the hair that Tinu has to offer, contact us today on 0161 834 1422 or use our contact form to book an appointment. You can also pop into the salon on Peter Street – we’re always available for a chat!
November is coming to a close and moustachioed men all over the country have their razors in hand, ready to shave away the efforts of Movember for a fresh start next month. There’s nothing more satisfying than a clean upper lip after 30 days of itching, scratching and collecting crumbs – but why stop at the ‘tache? Now’s the perfect time to try out a new look on top of your head as well! But before you pull a Jose Mourinho, put down the clippers, ditch the DIY, and check out our top styles this Christmas…
- Retro: For a 60′s rocker look, try a low number-one fade, with plenty of volume on top. This works best for curly-haired gents, and can be styled by combing forward to accentuate the shape.
- Bowl-cut: Believe it or not, those haircuts you despised as a child are back. Only this time, they’re not done in your mum’s living room. Again, short on the sides and heavy on top – only with minimal layering. Style with straighteners for a truly 80′s look, or use texturising gel for a messy, modern feel.
- Fringe: Sharp at the sides and short on the crown, becoming progressively thicker towards the front, the fringe is set to be the biggest masculine hair trend of 2014. Already seen on the catwalk from multiple designers, the fringe is a versatile style that can be worn to suit your tastes. Slick it back for a vintage quiff, or wear it choppy over your face for an edgier look.
- Side Parting: For those growing out a shorter cut, but still wanting to maintain the clean-cut look, a side parting is key. And with the 20′s trend still going strong, a side part can enhance the Gatsby vibe. Why not try a new colour like blue black or platinum white to really intensify the look?
- Silver Streak: Celebrities from George Lamb to Robbie Williams have embraced the grey. A silver streak through the front of the hair can compliment a quiff and give dark hair a pop of colour.
If any of these styles take your fancy, or if you have some ideas of your own, why not give us a call and celebrate the end of Movember at Peter Marcus? Nothing compliments a freshly shaven chin like a new ‘do up top – and with Christmas approaching, you never know who you might want to impress under the mistletoe! We’re open on Sundays through the month of December and will be introducing more late nights to fit in as many customers as we can over the festive period. D rop us a line to find out more – you can call us on 0161 834 1422, send us a message using our contact form or visit us at our salon on Peter Street.
Congratulations to everyone who participated in Movember and raised money and awareness for men’s health issues. Go Mo Bros!
British seasons can take their toll on your hair, especially as the weather drops below zero in the winter. Cold wind and frost can leave your hair feeling dry, brittle and damaged, and with a season of festive parties ahead, now’s the time we all need to look our best. Here are our top winter hair care tips to keep you looking fabulous well into the New Year…
Wash your hair less - It may sound crazy, but washing your hair fewer times per week can actually make your hair feel healthier during winter. Every time you wash your hair, you strip away natural oils and moisturisers. Hair can often appear dry during winter, and so now is the time you need those oils most. Try cutting it down to once or twice a week, and see if you notice a difference.
Oils, oils, oils! - There are so many great oil products available right now to help restore the natural balance of your hair and leave it looking silky and smooth. Try massaging some oil into the scalp – be it Argan oil or olive oil (yes – really!) – before washing out with shampoo a couple of hours later to condition and nourish the scalp.
Turn the temperature down - Now, we’re not saying take cold showers, but turning down the temperature of the water from steaming hot to warm can prevent damage to both your hair and your skin. Extreme water temperatures can damage your hair, especially when coming in from the freezing temperatures outside.
Dry naturally - Wherever possible, letting your hair dry naturally is much better than using heat. If your hair is prone to dryness in winter, avoiding high temperature tools such as straighteners and curling wands is advised, as they only dry out the hair more. However, it is important not to go out in winter with wet hair, as this can actually cause the hair to freeze and snap! If you’re in a rush, use a leave-in conditioner before blow-drying.
Try out the Topstyler - If you just can’t bear not to sport your trademark curls this Christmas, why not ask Santa for the Topstyler? Far more gentle than curling irons or wands, the Topstyler encases your hair in heated shells, cooling down naturally, leaving you with beautiful curls with less of the damage.
Watch what you put on your hair - Products with high alcohol levels can leave your hair feeling brittle and dry – consider investing in some salon quality products for a touch of luxury this winter.
Have a trim - Trimming the ends of your hair keeps it looking healthy. You may also consider getting a more simple, easy-to-manage cut in winter. The less fuss you need to make over your hair daily, the less split ends and breakages you will end up with. Keep your haircut short and simple, and maintain a healthy, shiny look for longer.
If you want a ‘new do’ for Christmas, or just want a professional styling for a festive party, why not book in with Peter Marcus? We’re a top Manchester salon, who welcome male and female clients. Check out our Christmas news post for information on our extra opening times during December. Feel free to give us a ring on 0161 834 1422 or call into the salon on Peter Street, Manchester. You can also contact us via our website.
Christmas is a busy time for everyone – ourselves included. With Christmas parties, New Year celebrations and family dinners galore, December is peak season when it comes to hair. As one of the top hair salons in Manchester, we get a lot of requests during this time and we just hate turning people away. Which is why this year Peter Marcus will be opening on Sundays throughout the month of December! Whether you’re looking for a new colour for the new year or just a blow-dry for a bit of extra sparkle at the office Christmas do, we’ll be here to help. We’ll also be introducing more late nights to accommodate those who find it difficult to make it in during our usual opening hours.
And what is Christmas without gifts? Don’t forget, we sell a fantastic range of luxury hair products with something to suit everyone. We’d be happy to answer any questions you have to make sure you walk away with the perfect gift for your special someone – what better way to show your loved ones you care? Pop into the salon or give us a call to talk about our current range.
Everybody deserves to have a glamorous Christmas, so why not treat yourself during this hectic time? If you need some inspiration, take a look at our blog for our favourite looks for winter or book a consultation. And don’t forget our special introductory offer – we give first-time customers 25% off if you visit Monday-Thursday with selected stylists.
It’s never too early to start planning so get booked in now to ensure a place over the festive period – don’t miss out! Give us a ring on 0161 834 1422 or call into the salon on Peter Street, Manchester. You can also contact us via our website.