Peter Marcus Hairdressing
It’s been a crazy few months for the Peter Marcus team – especially for one of our co-owners, Marcus Shamim.
Marcus is a proud member of the Matrix Global Ambassador Team, meaning that his incredible styling talent is recognised across the world. Following on from his exciting trip to Iceland at the beginning of the year where he took part in the Matrix National Conference, he then flew out to New York to work with the brand. But there’s no rest for the wicked, and only days after landing back in Manchester, Marcus is back on the road again. And this time he’s headed to Bulgaria!
Marcus will be jet-setting off with the rest of the Matrix Global Ambassador Team, performing in hair shows and taking part in educational demonstrations. The team is comprised of some of the most in-demand and cutting-edge hairdressers in the industry, who act as educators to stylists across the globe, sharing their creative vision and innovative techniques.
Both Marcus and Peter (a member of the Matrix Guest Team) feel honoured to work with Matrix, and to call Peter Marcus a Matrix Signature Salon. The brand offers such a great range of products (many of which we frequently use in the salon) and getting to travel across the world showing others how to use them to create the best looks possible is a dream come true.
Marcus sets off on the 15th June, and is spending a week with the Matrix team, so will be unavailable for appointments during this time. However please use our enquiry form or call us on 0161 834 1422 to book an appointment or consultation with any of our other talented stylists.
If you’re looking for a style to help you stand out from the crowd on a big night out, we’re also pleased to announce that our time at Selfridges Exchange Square has been extended! The pop up blow dry bar will now be open until 18th June – so get your glad rags on and come and visit us on the third floor for a hair pick-me-up!
If you’re looking to mix things up and try a new style, but are lacking inspiration, examining your face can be a good place to start. The shape of your face can make a big difference to the way a certain cut or style looks. For example a bob worn by someone with a round face will look completely different to the exact same style worn by someone with a square face.
Here we’ll give you some useful tips which may provide you with some hair inspiration for your face shape. However remember when it comes to hair, the possibilities are endless – if you love a style and wear it with confidence, it’s sure to look good, no matter what!
- Round faces, characterized by curved lines and a round chin, look great with asymmetrical hairstyles. Features that brake the symmetry of the face, such as a side parting, layered cut or long sweeping fringe, will frame your soft features and add a bit of edge to your look.
- Square faces are said to be very photogenic due to the prominent jawline. The right haircut on square face can emphasise this unique facial structure – for example, a classic angled long bob. This style is cut shorter at the back and longer at the front, which frames the face without widening it. If you prefer longer locks, soft waves with a centre parting also suit square faces.
- Heart-shaped faces, also known as inverted triangle shaped faces, are wider at the brow and narrow at the chin. A blunt wispy fringe looks great on heart shaped faces, drawing attention towards the eyes. Or for a gorgeous way to show off those high cheek bones, why not try a pixie cut?
- Oval faces are probably the most versatile face shape, with all lengths working with this shape. However, whatever the length, waves or curls will always work best for oval faces. Straight hair can pull the face down, making it seem longer, so try adding some body and texture with a curling wand or sea salt spray.
Regardless your face shape, don’t feel afraid of trying a new look! Our stylists are always on hand to give you useful advice and to help you find your perfect hairstyle. We can also offer styling tips and recommend the right products to help you achieve a salon finish at home. Give us a call on 0161 834 1422 or pop into the salon on Peter Street, Manchester.
Good news for those of you who are embarking on a big night out this weekend – Peter Marcus will be styling hair at Selfridges Manchester until June 11th!
Selfridges is the epitome of style and class, and our pop-up is no different! We’ll have stylists on hand on the top floor of the Exchange Square store for the next month, ready to blow dry and curl your hair to perfection. You can swing by any time – just look for the Peter Marcus logo!
Have a great weekend and we hope to see you soon!
Easter weekend brought blue skies and warm sun in Manchester. But while you were slapping on the sun cream, what measures were you taking to protect your hair? UV rays, humidity levels and high temperatures may leave your hair feeling dry, faded or greasy on warm days – but don’t worry, there are a few ways to stay ahead of the game…
Avoid using heat on your hair. While you probably won’t want to spend a warm afternoon glued to your straightener, it’s also good for your hair to go as natural as possible on hot days. Try a sea salt spray on hair that has been braided or pin curled while wet for a stylish yet heat-free look.
Maintain the moisture in your hair by using a deep conditioning treatment once a week. This will stop the breakdown of the hair’s protein caused by UV exposure. A hair mask which actually contains keratin is even better. But…
Don’t go overboard with the conditioner. If your hair is prone to greasiness or oiliness, try using a lighter conditioner during summer so as not to weigh the hair down.
Try a darker shade. While blonde shades are very much a summer trend, if your hair is dry in texture, it will only get worse by adding peroxide and UV rays into the mix. Why not use this season to stand out from the crowd and try deep chocolate or vibrant red?
Protect your head! It’s so important to protect your hair at the root, and this includes the scalp. Hats are an obvious solution, but using a high factor sun cream along your parting can also prevent burning and flaking. In addition, SPF shampoos, conditioners and even hairsprays are readily available at this time of year, so now’s the time to stock up!
The summers can be hit and miss in the North West, but it’s always best to stay prepared. No one wants to be stuck inside during an unexpected heat wave trying to control their hair! At Peter Marcus, we have a great range of professional hair products including Matrix, Bed Head and many more. So whether you need to control your frizz or add some volume, we can find the right summer hair product for you. Drop into the salon on Peter Street, or alternatively, give us a call on 0161 834 1422 to arrange a consultation.
Gone are the days when glasses were unflattering, badly made and impossible to style. These days every brand under the sun seems to have their own line of fashionable frames, from Gok Wan to Gucci. They’ve become such a desirable accessory that even people with 20/20 vision own a pair. But whether you wear your specs as a necessity, or just to pull an outfit together, it’s important to feel comfortable and confident in them. We’ve compiled a list of hair styles to compliment any glasses-wearer…
1) Wear large “geek” style frames? Try a long, blunt fringe. This style (combined with a messy top knot) has been worn by everyone from Zooey Deschanel to Beyonce and makes for a cute and quirky look.
2) If you wear bold statement frames, try a pixie cut. A short, choppy hairstyle will draw attention away straight to the face, allowing you to experiment with glasses of different colours and styles without them clashing with your hair.
3) The key to finding a hair style to compliment your specs is balance. And this goes for colour too. If you wear thick dark frames, try a lighter hair colour to brighten up your face. Similarly, if you want to try dyeing your hair a darker colour, maybe try clear, rimless or a fun pastel frame.
4) For an evening style, try an elaborate braid or french twist. These young “school girl” styles will contrast with your sophisticated specs and create a fresh, put-together look.
5) If you have very thick, blunt hair, try cutting in some layers. Thinning out the hair will prevent a harsh, cluttered look when coupled with glasses, and allow your frames to be noticed. It also gives you more room to experiment with make-up.
Glasses can dramatically alter your appearance, and sometimes finding a new way to style your hair is all it takes to fall in love with your new accessory. Contact us on 0161 834 1422 or pop into the salon for a consultation and we can discuss the perfect style for you. You can also use our appointment form to make a booking – don’t forget to bring your glasses!