Peter Marcus Hairdressing
At the end of January, our very own Marcus Shamim and Peter Usher jet-setted off to Iceland to take part in the Matrix National Conference 2014. Held in the beautiful city of Reykjavik, the event hosted 200 talented members of the Matrix family from the UK and Ireland to discuss the brand’s future, try out hair workshops and check out the local hotspots.
Discussions about the successes of 2013 revealed that Matrix were one of the fastest growing professional brands in the UK hair market – and at Peter Marcus, we are proud to be a part of that success. Other presentations included Laure Vidal de Saintignon’s speech on brand vision for 2014, and the new new USA Denim inspired Spring collection presented by Elia Hidil and Kayleigh-Jane Spurling. There was also a preview of the innovative colour services to be launched later in the year.
On the final night awards were presented, and members of the Matrix family were recognised for long-standing service to the brand, alongside outstanding achievements in sales and artistic and education roles across the UK and Ireland. The trip drew to a close with a final dance to Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky”, and then it was back to Manchester once again.
Both Peter and Marcus feel so honoured to be able to share in the success of Matrix and to be able to attend such incredible events – sampling innovative new products and techniques from a brand leading the way in contemporary hair care and styling. To be among such talented members of the industry in such a gorgeous setting felt like a fantastic achievement.
We can’t wait to show our loyal customers what Matrix has in store for the upcoming year. With Spring just around the corner, now is the time for change, and we can guarantee that what Matrix has to offer will not disappoint! We hope they continue to go from strength to strength in 2014.
To check out our Matrix range or to speak to one of our stylists for a consultation, get in touch on 0161 834 1422, contact us through our website or pop into our salon on Peter Street to speak with a stylist.
People can go to extreme lengths in the quest to achieve long, healthy, shiny hair. We’ve all heard the urban legends – things you can find in your cupboard which supposedly leave you with lovely lustrous locks. But how many of them really work? What’s the truth behind these healthy hair myths?
- Lemon Juice – It is often believed that soaking your hair in lemon juice and sitting out in the sun can leave you with golden highlights. Whilst it’s true that lemon juice can lighten the hair, this method is not recommended! There’s no telling what the colour results will be, or how well it will work on your hair, meaning this technique could easily end in disaster. Is it worth ending up with a bright, patchy colour job just to save a few quid?! We recommend a professional set of foils for a guaranteed result.
- Beer – The myth that beer makes your hair shiny, is indeed true. Traditional ale works best, and can definitely improve the strength and shine of your hair. However, there is of course one obvious downside – the smell! No one wants to go to work smelling like they’ve just stumbled out of the pub! A deep conditioning treatment at your local salon is just as effective and a lot less stinky.
- Trimming – Many people believe that trimming your hair will make it grow faster. Sadly this is not the case, however frequent trims do have their benefits! Trimming the ends of your hair regularly is recommended as it removes split ends and leaves your hair looking healthier, shinier and full of life. So while you may not look like Rapunzel any time soon, at least your locks will be in the best possible condition.
- Eggs – No, we don’t mean apply them as a hair mask – eat them! Egg yolks are full of zinc, selenium, sulphur and iron, which all help hair growth. A healthy diet can make a huge difference to your hair. No amount of product can improve your hair if it’s not being treated right from the inside, and taking in all the nutrients your body needs can result in thicker, healthier (and sometimes even longer) hair.
- Black pepper and lemon seeds – Apparently grinding down black pepper and lemon seeds to a fine powder before adding olive oil to make a paste and applying to the hair is a sure-fire way of adding volume to thin and fine hair. We’ll be honest… we have no idea if this works, but it sure seems like a lot of effort! For an easier solution, at Peter Marcus we offer full and half head volumising treatments, along with permanent wave treatments, so you can have big beach hair without taking to the mortar and pestle!
So, it seems that some of these myths aren’t complete rubbish – the secret to healthy shiny hair may indeed be found at the back of your cupboard. But for a more indulgent hair treatment (and a guaranteed result!) nothing beats a trip to the salon. At Peter Marcus, we have a number of luxury hair treatments – whether you want a new colour, a deep conditioning treatment or just a trim. Check out our price list for more details or contact us today for a consultation on 0161 834 1422. You can also send us a message through our website. And if you have any DIY treatments that you have tried and tested – let us know. We’d love to hear your suggestions!
Looks like our popularity amongst Manchester City footballers has been reignited.
Midfielder Jesús Navas popped into the salon last week for a trim with Peter. The Spanish international is following in the footsteps of teammate Sergio Aguero and former City player Carlos Tévez, who both had their locks cut by Peter back in August 2011.
We like to think we inspired Navas’s 33rd minute goal against Cardiff on Saturday; with hair looking that good we don’t blame him for wanting the camera’s attention on him!
In all seriousness, Peter and Marcus are both big Manchester City fans and the fact that some of the squad choose our salon over others in the city is a massive compliment.
Peter Marcus: adding a touch of glamour to Manchester City FC since 2011!
2014 is here, and with it the wave of new hairstyles trends for the upcoming season. The choice for this SS14 is vast. There are styles to suit all tastes from formal and classic to bold and striking, so girls, there is no excuse to miss the trend this season.
At Peter and Marcus our saying is, “New Year, New Style!” So here they are, the top 10 hairstyles you must bear in mind to be stylish in 2014:
Bobs was the biggest haircut of 2013 and looks like is set to take 2014 by storm but this season’s bobs come in all shapes and sizes, from slick and smooth to choppy and textured.
You already had a bob last year and want to change? Growing out a bob has never been easier, the easy-to-maintain mid-length cuts are more popular than ever. They require minimal styling and also work in most up-dos, too, isn’t it a perfect combination?
The new year also brings good news for lazy girls because one of the spring’s biggest trend is laid- back, fuss-free mermaid waves. The more randomly placed and tousled the better! But if waves aren’t your thing, don’t worry, long and straight hair is another of the favourite choices for the season. Now it’s even easier than it used to be to maintain long hair; the trend is more about a natural blow-dry than straightening hair. Simple, easy and feminine.
The trendiest option to banish bad hair days is a low ponytail. Easy, casual, elegant or formal, you decided. But whether you like it wavy or straight, super slick or lose, secure it low at the nape of the neck to get the perfect look.
If you are bored of your long hair, don’t be shy, go for a trendy short cut, and if it comes with a spiffing quiff even better! This season’s offerings are side-swept and textured – add waves and curls for maximum impact.
The trend in up-dos will stay as last year, everybody loves the ultra relaxed idea. You can leave strands loose for a soft, feminine feel or give volume at the roots to frame the face.
The surprise of the season is the wet look. Yes, it’s back! Straight from the 90’s, comfortable and easy, you just need to add some high shine serum before styling and it’s ready.
To complete this list we couldn’t forget about the essential hair accessories. This year they go from floral garlands to pretty headbands and scarves. They could be very good allies, so use them!
If you’re not sure which style will suit you and need some advice or if you have some ideas of your own, why not give us a call on 0161 834 1422 or contact us via our website. Alternatively, pop into our salon on Peter Street!
The team at Peter Marcus recently assisted in a top secret military mission… painting nails!
At the end of November, three Riflemen were dropped off in Manchester without phones or food, with the goal of making it down to London on only a fiver. The Frugal Bugle challenge aimed to test the soldiers’ stealth, communication and ability to think on their feet. But it didn’t end there…
As well as hitching rides down south, the squaddies also had to complete a series of challenges along the way – the more challenges completed the more points gained. One of these challenges was to score a manicure free of charge – and of course we duly obliged. It’s not every day we get a group of soldiers in the salon requesting baby pink nails!
The lads had a wonderful time, managing to get free pints, burgers, rooms in 5* hotels and even complimentary tours of Old Trafford and the Coronation Street set! The team were crowned victors at the end of the week with the most points scored – and we’re proud to have helped.
Rifleman Adam Brick has kindly been in touch after returning home, thanking us for the manicure and letting us know that, “We will definitely send any more Riflemen your way if they need to get their nails done.” Much obliged guys, congratulations on completing your challenge!
If you’re interested in professional nail treatments in Manchester – whether it’s for yourself or your loved one (soldiers included!) – give us a call on 0161 834 1422, contact us via our website or pop into the salon on Peter Street.