Peter Marcus Hairdressing
Gone are the days when glasses were unflattering, badly made and impossible to style. These days every brand under the sun seems to have their own line of fashionable frames, from Gok Wan to Gucci. They’ve become such a desirable accessory that even people with 20/20 vision own a pair. But whether you wear your specs as a necessity, or just to pull an outfit together, it’s important to feel comfortable and confident in them. We’ve compiled a list of hair styles to compliment any glasses-wearer…
1) Wear large “geek” style frames? Try a long, blunt fringe. This style (combined with a messy top knot) has been worn by everyone from Zooey Deschanel to Beyonce and makes for a cute and quirky look.
2) If you wear bold statement frames, try a pixie cut. A short, choppy hairstyle will draw attention away straight to the face, allowing you to experiment with glasses of different colours and styles without them clashing with your hair.
3) The key to finding a hair style to compliment your specs is balance. And this goes for colour too. If you wear thick dark frames, try a lighter hair colour to brighten up your face. Similarly, if you want to try dyeing your hair a darker colour, maybe try clear, rimless or a fun pastel frame.
4) For an evening style, try an elaborate braid or french twist. These young “school girl” styles will contrast with your sophisticated specs and create a fresh, put-together look.
5) If you have very thick, blunt hair, try cutting in some layers. Thinning out the hair will prevent a harsh, cluttered look when coupled with glasses, and allow your frames to be noticed. It also gives you more room to experiment with make-up.
Glasses can dramatically alter your appearance, and sometimes finding a new way to style your hair is all it takes to fall in love with your new accessory. Contact us on 0161 834 1422 or pop into the salon for a consultation and we can discuss the perfect style for you. You can also use our appointment form to make a booking – don’t forget to bring your glasses!
This week we were thrilled to be invited to Pro Hair Live – a professional hairdressing conference held at Manchester Central, only a short walk across the road from the salon! We attended the show on behalf of Matrix and did a number of hairdressing demonstrations using our favourite Matrix products.
Marcus is a global Matrix artist, and Peter a member of the guest team, so both were pleased to speak on behalf of the brand, creating some cutting edge yet wearable styles on our models. Marcus styled Faye’s violet curls in an on-trend 80′s style – short and sharp yet feminine – while Peter worked on Connor, demonstrating how a subtle colour change can amplify a masculine style. Both styles were highly textured and a great excuse to use the variety of Matrix texturising products available.
Next, Peter styled Chelsea’s copper toned hair (coloured using Matrix’s new vibrant range of red dyes) while Marcus styled Grady’s using Matrix’s Total Results range – a new line of products available from salons for customers who want to achieve the professional look at home.
The show was a huge success and we would like to extend a massive thank you to everyone who came to check out our demonstration. The Pro Hair Live exhibition is always a great day with every name in the industry coming together to discuss styling, products, tools and techniques – we even got to meet Marilyn!
To find out more about all the Matrix products we used during the show, or for a consultation with either Peter or Marcus, give the salon a call on 0161 834 1422. You can also use our Make an Appointment form, or drop into the salon on Peter Street for a chat.
This winter was all about edgy hair. Sharp bobs and choppy pixie cuts were bang on trend, with the added benefits of being super low maintenance in spite of wind, rain and snow. But now that the sun is out, and we’re all in the mood for summer, are you starting to feel hair cut regret? Are you wishing you could create those lushious beachy waves we all crave during the sunny seasons? Well, why not give extensions a try? They’ve come on a long way since the poorly disguised artificial hair of the early naughties – check out these celebs for some inspiration…
While we’ve never seen the any of the Kardashians with anything but flawless hair, we’re especially loving Kourtney’s not-so-natural locks. Rather than lengthening, Kourtney’s extensions thicken, leaving her hair looking thick, shiny and full of life.
Selena fully embraces ‘hippy chic’, coupling extra long extensions with a floral headband and bare midriff. We think this would be the perfect look for a festival, particularly for those with a centre parting.
Rita shocked us all at the Oscars, swapping her trademark bob for some platinum waves in a more relaxed version of her classic retro look. Rita is living proof that blonde looks amazing with any skin tone – especially in summer!
We couldn’t just pick one look for Beyonce – her hair changes far too often for us to keep track! Bey is a great example of the flexibility of extensions and weaves – they’re changeable, they’re dyeable and you’re never stuck with one style for long.
Sorry – we couldn’t resist! But hey, who says hair extensions are only for women? We actually think that Daniel has been something of a trailblazer in the male extension department – was Jared Leto copying his ‘do at the Oscars last week?!
We love the versatility of hair extensions, hair pieces and weaves. Can’t wait for your short hair to grow out – you don’t have to! Which is why this year, we were thrilled to welcome the wonderful Tinu, the creator of Dilusso Hair Extensions, to join us! Tinu offers some of the best hair extensions in Manchester and is now on hand for customers of all hair types looking for great quality, all natural extensions and weaves.
If you’re looking for summer makeover, and want to find out more about the hair that Tinu has to offer, contact us today on 0161 834 1422 or use our contact form to book an appointment. You can also pop into the salon on Peter Street – we’re always available for a chat!
At the end of January, our very own Marcus Shamim and Peter Usher jet-setted off to Iceland to take part in the Matrix National Conference 2014. Held in the beautiful city of Reykjavik, the event hosted 200 talented members of the Matrix family from the UK and Ireland to discuss the brand’s future, try out hair workshops and check out the local hotspots.
Discussions about the successes of 2013 revealed that Matrix were one of the fastest growing professional brands in the UK hair market – and at Peter Marcus, we are proud to be a part of that success. Other presentations included Laure Vidal de Saintignon’s speech on brand vision for 2014, and the new new USA Denim inspired Spring collection presented by Elia Hidil and Kayleigh-Jane Spurling. There was also a preview of the innovative colour services to be launched later in the year.
On the final night awards were presented, and members of the Matrix family were recognised for long-standing service to the brand, alongside outstanding achievements in sales and artistic and education roles across the UK and Ireland. The trip drew to a close with a final dance to Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky”, and then it was back to Manchester once again.
Both Peter and Marcus feel so honoured to be able to share in the success of Matrix and to be able to attend such incredible events – sampling innovative new products and techniques from a brand leading the way in contemporary hair care and styling. To be among such talented members of the industry in such a gorgeous setting felt like a fantastic achievement.
We can’t wait to show our loyal customers what Matrix has in store for the upcoming year. With Spring just around the corner, now is the time for change, and we can guarantee that what Matrix has to offer will not disappoint! We hope they continue to go from strength to strength in 2014.
To check out our Matrix range or to speak to one of our stylists for a consultation, get in touch on 0161 834 1422, contact us through our website or pop into our salon on Peter Street to speak with a stylist.
People can go to extreme lengths in the quest to achieve long, healthy, shiny hair. We’ve all heard the urban legends – things you can find in your cupboard which supposedly leave you with lovely lustrous locks. But how many of them really work? What’s the truth behind these healthy hair myths?
- Lemon Juice – It is often believed that soaking your hair in lemon juice and sitting out in the sun can leave you with golden highlights. Whilst it’s true that lemon juice can lighten the hair, this method is not recommended! There’s no telling what the colour results will be, or how well it will work on your hair, meaning this technique could easily end in disaster. Is it worth ending up with a bright, patchy colour job just to save a few quid?! We recommend a professional set of foils for a guaranteed result.
- Beer – The myth that beer makes your hair shiny, is indeed true. Traditional ale works best, and can definitely improve the strength and shine of your hair. However, there is of course one obvious downside – the smell! No one wants to go to work smelling like they’ve just stumbled out of the pub! A deep conditioning treatment at your local salon is just as effective and a lot less stinky.
- Trimming – Many people believe that trimming your hair will make it grow faster. Sadly this is not the case, however frequent trims do have their benefits! Trimming the ends of your hair regularly is recommended as it removes split ends and leaves your hair looking healthier, shinier and full of life. So while you may not look like Rapunzel any time soon, at least your locks will be in the best possible condition.
- Eggs – No, we don’t mean apply them as a hair mask – eat them! Egg yolks are full of zinc, selenium, sulphur and iron, which all help hair growth. A healthy diet can make a huge difference to your hair. No amount of product can improve your hair if it’s not being treated right from the inside, and taking in all the nutrients your body needs can result in thicker, healthier (and sometimes even longer) hair.
- Black pepper and lemon seeds – Apparently grinding down black pepper and lemon seeds to a fine powder before adding olive oil to make a paste and applying to the hair is a sure-fire way of adding volume to thin and fine hair. We’ll be honest… we have no idea if this works, but it sure seems like a lot of effort! For an easier solution, at Peter Marcus we offer full and half head volumising treatments, along with permanent wave treatments, so you can have big beach hair without taking to the mortar and pestle!
So, it seems that some of these myths aren’t complete rubbish – the secret to healthy shiny hair may indeed be found at the back of your cupboard. But for a more indulgent hair treatment (and a guaranteed result!) nothing beats a trip to the salon. At Peter Marcus, we have a number of luxury hair treatments – whether you want a new colour, a deep conditioning treatment or just a trim. Check out our price list for more details or contact us today for a consultation on 0161 834 1422. You can also send us a message through our website. And if you have any DIY treatments that you have tried and tested – let us know. We’d love to hear your suggestions!